Thursday, May 9, 2019

Dear Parents,
     Happy Thursday!!  Not really when it is chilly again today.  I have state qualifying track tonight and they are talking wind chills of 23 degrees.  I don't know that anyone is going to be running any spectacular times tonight!  I will be enjoying my car more than the track meet most likely! I am ready for track to be over and things to warm up and stay warmed up!!  I am sure all of you are also.  Time is dwindling down for 4th grade. It is hard to believe! It has been a great year!!

Language Arts -  Our last story in unit 5 is called "The Fun They Had".  This is a great story about kids from the future finding a "book".  Books in the future go across a television screen like a teleprompter.  The book is about school long ago, which is school today.  It is a fun short story!  The kids liked it.  It is science fiction.  We are reviewing in grammar. We talked about ending punctuation, capitalizing words in titles and whether to put title in quotes or underline it, and also commas with coordinating conjunctions.  The vocabulary strategy was on Greek and Latin word parts: therm, meter, aud, and fac.  They learned therm means "heat", meter means "measure", aud means "to hear", and fac means "to make" or "to do".  So the word thermometer is to measure heat.  We worked with several words containing these word parts and figured out their definitions.  Tomorrow will be our normal Friday with spelling posttest and end of week test!  This is our last week!  Next week we will test over Unit 5 and start reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as a class for fun!  I have a book for each student.  We will read some together, some in partners, and some on our own.  I will put in some activities throughout the book also.  At the end I will share the 1960's movie with them.  One of my all time favorite movies!  So much fun!

Math- We are working through the division chapter.  We have learned how to estimate division problems using compatible numbers.  I have taught them how to use a multiplication chart to help them find answers also.  They use this as a resource.  We will continue to work and learn about division until the end of the year.  Tomorrow they will work on division flash cards to help with them with fluency which is very important when learning long division.

Social Studies - Tomorrow is a Map Test over the Midwest!  I have warned them all week.  They should be practicing their states and capitals.  We are working through a couple lessons this week on Native Americans in the Midwest, the Ojibwa.  We also talked about a Land Rush in Wapello County Iowa.  We are working on getting our states in our notebooks.  We have more states than days left so they will have to double up some days.  Tomorrow I will be assigning two states after their map test. 

Elk"s Track Meet -  This track meet for 4th, 5th, and 6th graders will be held on Monday, May 13th at the High School track.  This is a fun track meet to introduce track and field to our young people.  Ms. Lesan will be at the track on Saturday, May  11th from 10:00 - 11:00 am to practice the high jump, long jump and any running events.  This is awesome of her to take the time to help the kids!  It truly is a fun event.  I remember participating as a kid. 

Spirit Day -  Tomorrow is a Spirit day!  Again the kids may wear sweats and a hat for $1.00.  It's a bargain!  Also they may just wear one or the other!  All Friday's this month are spirit days excluding the 24th.  

Absent -  I will be absent tomorrow.  I am attending graduation at Iowa State for my daughter's boyfriend.  He is graduated with an education degree and has accepted a position in Lenox, Iowa.  I always love my days in Ames and especially on Campus.  I wouldn't be teaching if I wouldn't have attended here and got my education degree!

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

God Bless,
Mrs. Sickels

No comments:

Post a Comment