Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Dear Parents,
     Happy Thursday!  I am "out of the office" today.  I am at the State Track Meet today!  Funny last Thursday it was too cold and conditions were too poor to run, and this Thursday there is a heat advisory!  Crazy Iowa weather!!  I don't plan on whining about being too hot!  I told the kids I may come back with a sunburn though.  I will be watching the 4X800 team at 11:20 and then Peyton Rice run the open 400 at 1:20.  Then I will find a mall with air conditioning and a pedicure place!!  I want to wear capri pants and sandals and I haven't yet, due to my nasty winter toes!  Only 2 more Thursdays, can you believe it?  I can't  I am not ready. It's been a great year and I hate to see these kiddos move on.  It is exciting for them but sad for me, they are such a great class.  Thank God, I get to still teach them one class a day! 

Language Arts -  This week in language arts we have been taking the unit 5 test and sharing book reports.  They have also done some free reading, and some handwriting.  The book reports have been fun!  They are creative students and some of their scenes are really interesting.  I am impressed because there are 14 totally different boxes.  Each unique in their own way.  I plan on finishing book reports on Friday.  The results for the Unit 5 test will go home in next Thursday's folder.  Next week we will begin reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory for fun.  We will get to do just a couple fun activities with the book but really there is barely enough time left to read the whole book and of course, show the movie!  I love watching the 1960's version of it.  Gene Wilder is so good and the kids fit their parts perfectly. I hope to be showing that movie on May 30th.  We will have to read like crazy and even read some for homework to finish.  

Math -  We are beginning to get into long division.  We have spent the last 3 days working on partial quotient.  The kids are subtracting, familiar chunks of numbers from the dividend to get their answers.  I tell them there is not right/wrong way to get it as long as you are using the strategy.  Some people can do it with small amount of work and others have to show a lot more work to get the quotient.  This leads us right into long division.  Ms. Surma and I went over chapter 4 and picked out the necessary things to teach out of the chapter before the end of the year.  We should be able to get a test in over chapter 4 by the end of the year.  That is our goal for sure.

Social Studies - We are making our way quickly through the Southwest Region of the United States.  It only consists of 4 states: Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas.  They will be getting their maps today to study 4 states for a map test on Monday.  We will be moving into the West next week.  Please, remember that on Thursday of the last week of school the kids will be taking their map test over the 50 states and capitals.  They have exactly two weeks to get all 50 down on where they are on the map and name the capital.  This is a pretty big test and is one standard/benchmark on the report card.  I would be sure they are studying a little bit every night from here on until May 30th.

Spirit Day-  Friday the 17th is a Spirit day.  You may wear sweats (too hot) but you can wear a hat for $1.00!  Bring in your dollar bills and wear a fun hat.

Spring Music Concert:  This concert will be held next Wednesday, May 22nd at the High School.  There is a reception to follow in honor of Father Halbur.

Well, only 2 more blogs coming from me for this class.  I hope you have found this helpful and informational about what goes on in my classroom!   have a great weekend! Hopefully it is a warm one for all of us!

God Bless,
Mrs. Sickels

No comments:

Post a Comment