Thursday, April 28, 2016

Dear Parents,
     Happy Thursday!!  What a week of weather.  Nice warm days then BOOM here comes the rain and cold!  This is not good weather for track meets that is for sure.  I may be a little cold today.  Behaviors have not been as bad this week.  I am hoping some of you questioned your child about being kind.  I am struggling with April being over and May beginning.  It's always a crazy push for the rest of the year.  I can't believe the end is near.  I guess not only my last month with your kids but also the last for my oldest in High School!  Hard to believe they are college bound.  Let's enjoy the last month!!!

Language Arts -  This week we have been using our class time to read in our book report books.  We also have taken the Unit 5 test. I have also been reading to them from The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler.  This is a book I had read to me when I was in 4th grade.  It won the Newbery Medal in 1968.  It is a very good book about 2 kids that run away to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.  They live in the suburb of Greenwich, New Jersey. I know it is a book about running away but we try not to focus too much on that part and more about the adventure and mystery of the trip.  I also talk about how scary it would be and that is why this book is fiction.  The prices of things are so much cheaper back then, we discuss the differences of then to now.  Next Tuesday, I would like to start our Charlie and the Chocolate Factory books.  If you have a copy please send it to school.  If you don't and want your child to use their Kindle, Nook, Ipod, Ipad or other device, as of today the book is $7.99 on Amazon.  One year we caught it just right it was only $1.99.  No such luck this year.  I have about 15 copies of the book for students.  We can share them if necessary.  We will read through and apply some of the things we have learned this year in Language Arts.  We will have questions to answer and small projects to complete.  The favorite is completing a golden ticket.  I am looking forward to this book.

Math - We are finishing up correcting our tests and then the plan is to move onto the division chapter.  We may not do every lesson in this chapter.  We will do what is necessary to fulfill my requirements.  I hope to begin that chapter tomorrow.  Today we will finish up corrections. 

Social Studies -   We are moving through the Midwest region.  I am  covering the first chapter then for the 2nd half of the Midwest we are going to do some work on some Puzzle pages to require them to do some research on the State looking for certain things.  The things they have to find are all very good items to know about the states. I plan to put together a packet for them to complete with partners or groups of 3.  We will utilize the computer lab for that.  I think they will find this a lot of fun.

Lap-a-thon-  The weather has not been very conducive to our best fundraiser.  The Lap-a-thon was to take place today but rain has held it off.  We will be doing it on Monday.  The 4th grade will run their laps from 8:45-9:45 in the morning.  I told the kids to dress in layers and bring a 2nd pair of shoes and socks.  IF ground is wet their shoes will be wet and socks will be damp.  We don't want wet feet all day 1) they will stink and 2) it's just plain uncomfortable.  I also suggested they wear layers.  The morning shift is usually still very chilly.  They need to also bring in a water bottle.

Music Program - Reminder that the Music Program is next Wendesday, May 4th in the High School Auditorium.  We will have dress rehearsal on this Monday also.  We will leave the school about 10:15 and be back around 11:40.  This will allow enough time to run through the program so kids know where they are going and what needs to be done.  Please be sure to fill out permission form for your child to ride the bus over to High School.  You should have that in today's folder. Please sign and return tomorrow!

                                  I hope all of you have a great weekend!!

God Bless,

Mrs. Sickels


No comments:

Post a Comment