Thursday, April 21, 2016

Dear Parents,
      Happy Thursday!!  I feel like this has been a completely crazy week!!  It was a short one but over before I knew it.  Behaviors this week definitely reflect a full moon!!  I have had to have conversations about being kind and respectful to others.  I am not seeing some very kind behaviors right now.  I am not sure if it is because they are bombarded with soccer, baseball, dance, or other things that keep them very busy and they are tired but I have witnessed "Mean" things this week.  I would just like if you talked about being kind with your student.  I am watching them very closely and will let you know if your child is exhibiting these behaviors and I feel it is effecting others.  We have such a short period of time left I don't want anyone to ruin the end to our year! 

Language Arts - We read a short story called "The Fun They Had".  It was a science fiction story set in the future.  It was showing what teachers and learning was like in like 2157.  The kids find a book from the past and think it is  waste of paper and space because the words are not on a screen moving.  It was interesting to think about someone's perspective of the future and education.  This class doesn't think they want to be taught that way.  In Grammar this week we talked about capitalization in titles, ending punctuation, and commas in compound sentences.  We also talked about  some word parts and their meanings (therm, aud, fac, meter).  We had a crazy day today with our author visit.  We took our spelling post test but didn't get to the end of the week assessment.  We will read the story and take that test on Monday.  I told the kids to study their vocabulary words again over the weekend.

Math -  We began the test over chapter 13 today.  Some finished but there are others who need more time.  We will finish that up on Monday.  I feel like they have a pretty good handle of what area and perimeter are and how to find them, but I guess the test will tell me the truth.  Next topic will be division.

Social Studies -  We took a test on Monday.  I had people finishing up corrections today.  I will get those tests back to the students next week for a parent signature.  They all did very well.  The maps were excellent!!!  I feel like a few need to work on those capitals but they have the map down!  That is awesome.  We are beginning the Midwest states.  They have worked on some vocabulary words for this chapter all ready. Next week we will dig into the chapter.  We will discuss how the Great Lakes were formed and also the Badlands.  It is an interesting chapter.

I will be gone next Tuesday.  I am attending BizzTown with the 5th graders.  I have had a hand in teacher them some pieces of the Bizztown curriculum so I get to go see what this day is all about. I am excited.   We have had some fun learning life skills and about our economic system in the United States.  Ms. Surma hopes to return next Wednesday.  I hope everyone enjoys a nice long weekend!!  It's DANCE RECITAL at our house!! I will be glad when the weekend is over.  I am thankful Molly is older and doesn't need me as much!!

God Bless,
Mrs. Sickels  


No comments:

Post a Comment