Thursday, February 5, 2015

Dear Parents,
     Happy Thursday!!  Again another crazy week.  What a great snow storm on Sunday.  I do like to get a couple good ones in during winter.  I sat by my huge windows and watched it all day!! So pretty.  I read a book and took a nap.  Well, I feel we have accomplished things this week just like it was a normal week.  I survived my first time prom dress shopping also.  We have dresses!!  Josie only tried on 3, she is a girl who know s what she wants.  Jami tried on at least 20.  She did get outside her box and brought home a very lovely comfortable dress which was the opposite of what she went wanting. HA!  I hope all of you enjoyed your extra day of the weekend.  I know I did.  

Auction Basket -  We have a meeting in my room after school today to discuss ideas for the auction basket.  If you are able to attend that would be great.  The more the merrier.  If you are one who likes to just give a monetary donation you can do that at anytime.  You can make check payable to Kim Coen.  I will let you know when we have decided on a basket theme in case you would like to donate an item towards our them.  I do ask that you send at least $2 with your child to help cover the cost of their scrapbook page.  We create a scrapbook for our silent auction item.  Each child has their own page, they decorate with their names and stickers and such.  We also have some group shots in there from Catholic Schools Week.  

Language Arts - We read the story Hercules' Quest this week.  They loved it.  It was a nice break from all the informational text stories we have been reading!!  I plan to show them the movie for fun next week on Thursday when we celebrate Valentine's Day.  The spelling list this week was on prefixes and the students did a great job on the pretest.  In Grammar this week we are learning about Prepositions and prepositional phrases.  It is one of most difficult parts of speech to teach but the kids catch on.  They have done a nice job.  We discussed plot in depth this week.  They had to write out the plot on paper when reading the story with a partner which will help them better understand the story. Tomorrow is a normal Friday with end of the week assessments.

Math - I feel like we have been having a lot of fun with math last week and this week.  We have been learning about perimeter and area.  I have taught the appropriate formulas and they have put them to good use.  We have spent a lot of time working in partners and groups for this.  I think that is why they enjoy it so much.  Mrs. Sickels doesn't need to be in front of room teaching all the time.  We can work in partners using a formula to figure out math without her.  Mrs. Ide and I have been walking around watching as they figure things out.  Listening to their discussions on why they need to do this is very interesting. I a glad I gave them a little break to really enjoy Math before we head into Division which will cause them to really think.  We will be testing next week sometime  over this chapter.

Social Studies - We are covering the last lesson in our first chapter on the Southeast regions.  The students received their project due dates today.  The first one is Feb. 27th.  Please be working on finding facts and gathering your stuff to get started.  I will get their poster stuff to them soon,  The southeast is full of rich history about our country.  It is just sad that I only get to skim the surface of it with them.

Mass - We have mass next week, which is just a prayer service.  We would still love it if our parents and loved ones attended.  I think we are going to act out the reading to add a little something extra to the service.  I will be working on this and finalizing everything over the weekend.  Monday I will devote time to go over with the kids.  We will practice also on Tuesday.

I am looking for someone to provide treats for our class on Valentine's Day which will be celebrated on Thursday, Feb. 12th, due to no school on Friday the 13th.  I would like one person to bring a snack and one to bring a drink.  I only allow the students to eat the provided treats and no candy from their valentine's.  Please email me or text me (641)202-1580 if you would like to bring an item.  It will be a first come first serve basis.

God Bless,
Mrs. Sickels

No comments:

Post a Comment