Thursday, January 29, 2015

Dear Parents!!
     Happy Thursday!! What a crazy week!! I about forgot to write a blog for today.  We have had a lot of fun this week with our dress up days!  We have also put in some work this week.  It is now coming to an end. Today we had a busy morning with a normal afternoon and tomorrow it is a normal morning with a busy afternoon.  I hope to see grandparents and special friends tomorrow.  Thank you for sharing your child with me. It is my pleasure to get to work with them and teach them.  I enjoy everyday and love my job!! I am looking forward to a fun weekend after the fun week.  We are prom dress shopping!!  We are excited.  Just a new adventure for us.  Hopefully it will be a successful trip.

Language Arts -  We read a story this week called The Right Dog for the Job.  It is a narrative nonfiction story that tells how a dog goes from birth to being a guide dog or service dog.  It is interesting to see that the dog goes into a 6th grade classroom to practice sitting still in one place while other things are going on.  The kids thought it would be cool to have a dog in here.  We studied sequence and I had them read the story in groups and write down the steps or order in which he was trained at certain things to become a service dog.  They did a great job.  We talked about adverbs this week.  We learned what they are and what questions they answer.  This grammar was little harder than adjectives.  Spending only a  week on these two parts of speech seems pretty quick.  I used to devote a lot more time to them.  They won't completely go away, they will appear again.

Math - We jumped to a chapter later in the book.  It is only 5 lessons long and it seems fitting to do right after learning about multiplication.  We are doing a chapter on Perimeter and Area.  We have so far talked about perimeter.  The students have done most of it in group work finding perimeter of rectangles.  They were taught the formula of P= (2 X L) + (2 X W).  They were given rectangles and they plugged the numbers in and found the perimeter with no problem.  The only problem they have is not wanting to show their work.  I made them show the formula and each step in finding the solution.  A few were frustrated and wanted to do it all in their head.  I hope to start Area tomorrow.

Social Studies -  The students picked their states and projects this week.  I will get their due dates out to them next week.  I will also get my part of their projects to them by the end of next week.  We so far have talked about the landforms in the Southeast region.  I introduced the Outer Coastal Plain, Inner Coastal Plain, Piedmont, and Appalachain Mountains.  We  talked about Mt. Mitchell being the highest point in the Southeast which is in North Carolina.  We also have talked about this area having a lot of wetlands swamps and marshes.  We are moving a little quicker through these lessons.  The students seem to enjoy moving at a quicker pace. A small group like this is easy to do that with.  


I hope your kids have enjoyed this week celebrating our school!! I know I have.  I am great with getting to wear jeans everyday but one!!  I hope all of you have a great weekend!!  I hope to share some photos later when I get them downloaded.  

God Bless,
Mrs. Sickels

No comments:

Post a Comment