Thursday, April 30, 2020

Dear Parents,
     Happy Thursday!  Another week down.  I think 3 more to go!  We are halfway.  We have done this for 3 weeks and we have 3 left.  We can do it.  Your kids have been rock stars.!! I really do appreciate all the hard work that they do.  Taking the time to do their work and then going out to enjoy the weather is what I want for them. I hope you are all getting some family time in also.  We have ate around the table, all of us, more in the last 6 weeks then in the last 6 years.  Again, I sometimes think this is God's way of telling us to slow down, remember what is important.

Language Arts -  We are ending the book Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  I am working on what we will do next. I need to have them do a writing activity.  I am just trying to decide what that needs to look like.  Maybe something will come to me in my sleep.  I hope they are enjoying the book.  Some students have answered some of the questions using the movie.  We need to keep the answers based on the book.    This is proof the book is different from the movie and we need to remember the book came first.  I was always telling the students I try to read the books first before I see a movie because the book is always better.

Math -  We are continuing to work through measurement.  This first video which you have watched in small doses has been on Measurement benchmarks.  They are using those benchmarks when I ask them the questions, how would you measure this.  You are to use his examples and think what is best way to measure this.  On a few I was lenient and allowed for a couple answers. All of these lessons going over Customary Units and Metric Units are a part of a standard that I have to report on.  I felt a step at a time was the best approach, plus I don't want to overwhelm the kids.  Next week will start a different part of Measurement.

Social Studies -  The lessons I gave the kids this week will finish up the Midwest Region.  Next week they will do lesson covering the Southwest Region.  The first one is very interesting focusing on canyons, and the people of the Southwest.  Mainly explorers and the Grand Canyon.  Very interesting.  Hopefully kids will get to see the Grand Canyon some day, if they have not already.  The 2nd lesson will be over the varying climates in those 4 southwestern states.

I hope this all finds everyone safe and well.   I hope everyone can get out over the weekend and enjoy some outdoor fun.  I am meeting with my cousin on her farm tomorrow to have a picnic lunch for an hour!  I hope to enjoy the outdoors for a while and visit with my family I miss see.  But will do that while social distancing.  

Have a great weekend! Once again, please know how much I miss your kids!   A TON!!

God Bless,
Mrs. Sickels

No comments:

Post a Comment