Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Dear Parents,
     Happy Thursday!  We are back in the swing of things after a wonderful Thanksgiving break.  Mine was spent with family in Chicago!  We had a great time and did some fun shopping.  We played a lot of games, mainly Bananagrams.  We have been working hard when we can this week.  The kids had mass this week, their first Advent Angel activity, and the Christmas Program.  I think the rest of the week will be pretty calm now!  I am not at school today.  I am in Des Moines at the State Drill Team Competition. My daughter Molly is on the Peppers Team and they will compete twice.  Both are around the noon hour so I had to take a whole day off!  I left them in good hands.  The day will go along as if I were there.  By the way, our kids did a great job at Mass today.  I had to leave the room to take the "Body of Christ" to the tabernacle and the Sanctuary singers took charge and went up and began singing when they were suppose to without being told!  It was great!!!  To me that was huge and showed great maturity.  I was super proud and was sure to let them know.

Language Arts - This week we did not read a story.  This was a Unit test week.  We have been working on it for 2 days and will finish today.  They have the editing and revising section yet to complete.  I will get those scores out to you next week.  I also have not gotten the last story score to you  because I have 2 that were gone and we have yet to have the time to make it up. Once they have taken it, I can pull the scores and get the sheets filled out and to you. Please expect those next week also.  If you are curious and can't wait, shoot me an email and I can give you a total score for now.  I will be assigning the students their next book report on Friday.  Please pay attention to whether the last book was a good choice for you child.  Help them to know what they might choose better next time.  Let me know if the book was too long or too hard for them.  I have heard from a couple parents all ready, so I know to guide them differently this time.  This book needs to have a strong character in it.  They will be doing a Character Sketch so need to good character to work with.  This is one of my favorite book reports and I am the only one that does something like this one.  This will cause them to be very artistic.  I look forward to these each year.  These reports will be due February 3, 2020.  Please get the instructions out of their folder and put in a safe place, or leave them in the folders if that is a safe place.  I would like them to have a book picked and turned in to me by Christmas break. (which is only like 10 more school days away)!  Isn't that crazy.

Math - This week we have finished up learning about the standard algorithm in multiplication.  It is called the Regrouping Strategy.  The kids can multiply 4 digit number times a single digit and do it well.  They will work on flash cards and a basic fact test today.  Tomorrow I will begin talking to them about equations.  Yes, a little dip into algebra for them.  They think they are "big" stuff when I say "Algebra" to them.  We will spend a couple days on that and then be ready to review.  After we take a test, we will do some fun Christmas math and then begin chapter 3, which is double digit multiplication.  Things are going to get a bit harder!!  I love teaching multiplication to the students.  The strategies are so cool and has helped me to better understand the concept of multiplication.  They have several strategies in under their belt to choose from to work problems and not just one like we had.

Social Studies -  We have begun the 2nd chapter on the Northeast.  We have been singing our States and Capitals song.  We will get some map work soon, so they can take their first map test of the Northeast!  They worked on putting 2 states into their notebooks today.  We will be working very hard to get those finished up and move on out of the Northeast into the Southeast.  It is super hard to get everything we want to do done in our short class periods.  I could use an hour a day with social studies.  

Spirit Day - Friday is a Spirit Day!!  Kids can wear sweats for $1.00.  

Christmas Program - The kids looked AWESOME!  They sang fabulously!  It was a great night!  Super proud of our school and it's kiddos. Now we can relax until Christmas break! Which is approaching fast I might add! (again)

Prayer - I just wanted to share what we have been doing in 4th grade during prayer.  For the month of November the students told one thing each day that they were thankful for.  Boy, you would be proud of your kids and the things they are thankful for!  I didn't have anyone be thankful for anything materialistic!  The month of December I have asked them to think of someone they can pray for everyday.  So in are petitions each one tells me someone they want to pray for.  They can repeat their choice on a daily basis or pick someone new everyday.  This is going very well.  It is amazing who they think of besides family.  I am super happy I have done this.    I found out what amazing caring kids they are. If you question that in your child, don't!  They got it right!!

If I have forgotten something, I apologize!  It is 9:30 and I am tired.  I will send you a message if I have left anything out.  If you think of something email and remind me. I can be forgetful. Especially this time of year.  Have a great weekend.  I will see the kids on Friday.

God Bless,
Mrs. Sickels

No comments:

Post a Comment