Thursday, April 11, 2019

Dear Parents,
     Happy Iowa Assessment Week!    We are finishing up our testing today.  The students will be done by the time they go to lunch today.  They have done a really good job of being quiet and working on the assessments.  I sure hope their scores reflect them doing their best work.  We would like to thank the PTO for providing us with snacks this week.  Monday we had muffins, Tuesday was cookies, and today is pretzels.  It gives them a nice brain boost to get out of room, have a snack and move around.  We want to get that blood flowing!  I have to admit I came to school in a fowl mood, not because of the students and testing but because I was dreading going to a track meet in Lewis Central and freezing!  I even said a prayer during prayer about it not being too cold or if so it cancelling.  My prayer was answered!  It was cancelled!  I think it is just too hard on kids to run in such cold conditions and that wind wasn't going to allow anyone to break any records for sure!  My day is made!  The kids and I celebrated with a happy dance!

Book Report -  I have assigned the last and final book report for 4th grade. ( I can't believe I am saying that "Last and final"!)  It will book a diorama or book box.  The students will read a book then create their favorite scene or a prominent scene from the book inside the box.  The students all have a packet on it.  It gives directions and also has the rubric I will use to score the project.  Please be sure the student covers the entire box inside and out so I don't see any of the shoe box. I showed the students an example that I have in the classroom and talked about all the directions.  They should know what they are doing.  They may have questions once they finish the book and are ready to begin work.  This project is due Monday, May 13th.  The students are encouraged to begin reading their book because this time once they tell me a book they cannot change it.  They have until Monday to get this done.  Also the book must be over 180 pages this time.  I am requiring them to challenge themselves.

Language Arts-  We have not done anything in the book this week.  I assigned a book report.  They have been working on Handwriting and a Dollars for Scholars Essay Contest.  They have been asked to write an essay about "What Education Means to Me".  Some of them are all ready finished.  I will be looking them over and having them clean them up.  Teachers from the building will vote on them and the top 3 essays will be submitted into the contest.  The winner will win $50.  One person from this class is guaranteed to win! Good Luck 4th graders!

Math -  We have been working on reviewing for Math this week.  We will finish today and take a test tomorrow over Perimeter and Area.  They have been doing a nice job and I plan to see great things on the test.  I hate that we are taking a test during the test week but I can't put it off.  I want to get moving.  We need to work on division for the rest of the year.

Social Studies -  We began the Midwest yesterday.  We will be moving a little bit faster through this chapter than the others.  I am trying to keep things moving so we get where we need to be.  We do A LOT in social studies in the year!  Lots of information is thrown at the kiddos.  They seem to love it!  Start learning the Midwest states and where they are on the map.

Dreambox -  I just wanted to give a report on Dreambox since we talked about it at conferences!  The students have been doing a great job meeting the goal of 7-8 lessons a week!  They are all growing and improving!  I am proud of the work they have done and appreciate anything you have said to them at home to help motivate them!  More of the students seem excited about getting on and working in their free time.  Thank you. 

Earth Day Clean-Up -  We will be holding our Spring Cleaning Day on Friday, April 26th.  The 4th grade students are asked to bring a rake and gloves that day.  They will spend about an hour raking and cleaning up around the school and the rerun.  I love the way the school looks after clean up day.  I hope the weather cooperates for us to do this.   We also ask each student to donate $1 to the school.  This dollar will be used to purchase flower pots, soil and flowers for the front entrance of the school.  It helps to make a welcoming  to those as they enter our building.  Thank you in advance for this donation.  We appreciate it!

Spirit Day -  Tomorrow is a spirit day!  According to Weather Bug on my phone the high tomorrow will be 41 degrees so I great day to wear sweats for $1.00!   Hopefully it is one of the last days it is that chilly. 

I hope all of you have a great weekend!  I will be attending Molly's ten year dance recital!  I am excited!  I love watching her and all the St. Malachy kids shine on the stage!  Plus we have all our family back to attend!

God Bless,

Mrs. Sickels

No comments:

Post a Comment