Thursday, April 18, 2019

Dear Parents,
     Happy Holy Thursday!  This has been a short week for me!  Not only do we have tomorrow off, but I was out of the building Tuesday in Red Oak for a class, then Wednesday morning I was in Des Moines for Molly's last shoulder appointment!  Yes!! It was the last unless she begins having issues again.  Surgery last July was a complete success and he is very happy with where she is and how she is doing.  That was a relief!  But I felt like I wasn't here.  You kids are great!  They told me they missed me when I returned Wednesday afternoon!  That made my day!

Language Arts - We read a story this week about the Coastal Redwood trees in California.  We know them as the Sequoia trees.  The story was called The Ever-Living Tree. It is a cool story to show the lifespan of the trees.  It relates it to the human world and what was happening while the tree was growing. It talked about dinosaurs, Augustus Ceasar, the great wall of China and more.  It is cool to see how old the trees can be. In grammar they reviewed ending punctuation and capital letters in sentences and quotations. The vocabulary strategy was about the prefixes pre-, inter-, and ex-. We will be taking our end of week test today since we have no school tomorrow.

Math - We took a Re-do of the chapter 13 test.  Scores were not what I had hoped.  I allowed them a chance to increase their scores, which most of them accomplished!  I wrote the formulas on the board this time to help them keep them straight. I was hoping a test in math was not a good idea after Iowa Assessments all week.  For some it worked and they improved to a more proficient score.  Some didn't give much effort this time either. I was disappointed and visited with them about a missed opportunity.  Today we are going to work on basic multiplication facts, take a fact test and practice facts.  When we return next week we will begin the chapter on Division.  Yesterday they took the Chapter 4 pretest. I have a few that need to make that up today also.

Social Studies -  We are moving right along. Today they had a map skill on map scale. They worked in partners and then I gave them 4 states to work on putting in their interactive notebook. One was for today and the other 3 are to be done over their break.  It gets a great jump on the notebook so we will have all 50 by the end of the year.  This should not take them more than an hour if they sit down and focus. I give them some of the information up front. They will need scissors and glue to make this happen. I will remind them all to take their notebook home. That would also be a problem.  

April 22-24-  School will not be in session these dates.  The teachers are attending NCEA in Chicago.  I am looking forward to learning some new things and coming back and giving them a try. I hope the kids have  nice 3 days.

Earth Day -  Please remember that  Friday, April 26th is Earth Day and we are holding our annual Spring Clean up. The students get to wear comfortable work clothes this day for free.  Fourth graders need to bring a rake and gloves that day.  Also, we are asking each student to bring a $1.00 to donate towards flower pots, flowers, and soil to put out front of the school.

Spirit Day -  April 26th is also Spirit Day.  The students may pay $1.00 to wear a hat.  This is separate from the $1.00 they donate for Earth Day.

I hope all of you have a Wonderful Easter with your family!  

God Bless,
Mrs. Sickels

No comments:

Post a Comment