Thursday, February 7, 2019

Dear Parents,
     Happy Thursday!   What a day it already is!  I am a little shocked we did not have a 2 hr. delay this morning...BUT we are here and we will make the most of it! This winter has been a doozy for us!  Next week doesn't look any better.  They say to watch out for Tuesday!   Also be aware of colder temps tomorrow.  We will not take the kids outside but be sure hat, coats and mittens for after school and riding bus home.  We want our kiddos warm.  I will not be in the classroom tomorrow. I have a class in Osceola.  

Language Arts -  This week the story is called Riding Freedom.  It is a real-life Mulan story.  A female named Charlotte Parkhurst disguises herself as a man so she can do a man's job of driving a stagecoach.  She has an accident and loses majority of her sight in one eye.  She works hard to train herself to do the job with just one eye.  She focuses on her sense of hearing to help her.  This story is historical fiction.  It was interesting.  We are learning about adjectives this week.  We are reviewing that they describe a noun or pronoun.  It is important that we know the parts of speech so we can improve our writing.  I have tried to model what it would be like to read a book or story without adjectives in them.  I think they understand the importance of adjectives.  The vocabulary strategy this week was on figurative language.  We reviewed similes, metaphors, and idioms. The students will have a normal Friday with a spelling posttest and end of week test.

Math - We have learned the standard algorithm or regrouping strategy for multiplication.  FINALLY!!  I have not been able to teach it for like 2 weeks!  We are going to begin working on Biztown math so I can get some financial literacy into them before our field trip on Feb. 27th.  We also are working on basic multiplication facts.  We will be writing checks, filling out deposit forms and balancing checkbooks.  It is fun stuff! That will most likely start next Monday and weather permitting we will do all week next week.

Social studies -  We are working through our first chapter of the Southeast very nicely.  We have put several states into our notebooks, we have been working on map skills. Soon we will be working on located the  12 states in this region.  We will also work on the capitals.  I hope to have a map test by next Friday and we will also begin preparing for a test over chapter 6.  I really feel the students have been working really hard on the days we are here.  They seem to be enjoying Social Studies class.

Biztown -  I would like thank you for your generous donations to our field trip.  It is a great day.  We have currently met the goal of money to make this trip possible. BUT still need several volunteers to go along with us.  I have two parents that are going but we still have openings.  You will have to take an online training session and then make sure you arrive in Des Moines at Biztown by 8:30.  The students will arrive by 9:00. It is fun to watch and be a part of, so make sure you email me to let me know you would be a volunteer that day.  Even if you have told me you want to go will you send me an email or text to verify.  I feel like a 3rd person told me but I can't remember who it was.  Thank you!

Auction Basket -  I have received one donations towards our auction basket.  We definitely are in the need for more. I am sending home the paper we sent out in January  to let you know what our basket is and ideas of things to donate.  All proceeds to the basket which raises money of the St. Malachy Foundation.  Please help out. No donation is too small.

I hope everyone has a great weekend! 

God Bless,
Mrs. Sickels


No comments:

Post a Comment