Thursday, December 20, 2018

Dear Parents,
     Happy Thursday and Merry Christmas!!!  I hope you all are ready for Christmas Break because it is almost here!   Only a day and half until they are all yours for a couple of weeks!!  We have had a pretty good week, considering it is the last week.  I appreciate their behavior! I have kept them pretty busy this week.  I was gone on Monday, twin #2 had her wisdom teeth out so I had to be "Mom" duties all day. All went well that day and we have had a normal week since then.  

Language Arts -  Their story this week is called Antarctic Journal.  It is about a women who writes nonfiction books and she researches everything she writes.  She went  to Antarctica and stayed for some time.  She kept a journal while she was there and ended up publishing her journal.  It is really an interesting story but not sure a full week of it hold their interest.  We will see tomorrow how well they do on their test.  In grammar we have been talking about Modal Auxiliaries which are words like: can, may, would, should, might could and must.  There is a reason we use each one. They are learning when appropriate to use can or may, which is a fun one.  We also learned some Greek and Latin word parts that we use in our language and what they mean.  Those parts are spect, struct, tele, and vis.  They like seeing the connections.  We will still have a post test and end of week test tomorrow morning like normal.  The kids should be studying their vocab words and spelling words tonight.

Math-  This week we had one lesson on multiplying using 10.  We spent one day talking about it and then a worksheet.  On Wednesday and Thursday we did what I call "Fun Math".  We use a coordinate grid to color a picture.  The students were given a blank grid and then a sheet of instructions.  They are to follow the instructions and will end up with a Christmas picture if they do not make a mistake.  They are to have one picture complete but can pick another one to do if they get finished.  It is kind of like a battleship grid.  Funny how we wonder how that relates to math but it does.  In High School they will get into graphing and coordinate pairs.  This is just a simple beginning to that.  The students enjoyed it.  Some are also wanting to do Suduko.  We will see if I can get that done.

Social Studies-  We have put our last state for the Northeast into our notebooks!  Yay!!  The students took a 2nd map test over the Northeast States.  You will find the results to both in today's folder.  It is on an orange sheet.  We will pick up back in the chapter when we return from Christmas Break.  I hope to finish the chapter up and then start a new region.  We also completed a map skill on Map Keys, you will find that in the folder also on pink paper.  The students are doing a great job in Social Studies.  I keep them going and they just keep working hard.

GeoBee -  The Geography Bee finals were held yesterday.  Our winner was Spencer Brown in 6th grade.  Second place went to Daniel Buls 7th grade and 3rd was Rosie Leonard 8th grade.  Congratulations to our winners.  Spencer will be taking an online quiz in January to try and qualify for competition at the State Level.  Good luck to Spencer!!  I am very proud of the 3 4th graders who made it to the finals.  They should be proud. Usually I am lucky to have just one, but three!  WOW!!  They all got their first question right also.  That was awesome.  

 Friday - Tomorrow is the day!! Our last day together before break.  We will start the day in Music, then we will have language arts. When we have completed all academics we will then have some fun!   The students are all allowed to bring in board games that we can play.  I will let them enjoy each others company and celebrate together.  There will be treats and drinks and lots of fun.  I have a couple parents coming in to help and enjoy the day.  At 11:40 the students will go to lunch with their Advent Angels and at 12:15 we will begin our annual caroling in the gym.  You are invited to attend any part of the day with us that you want.  The caroling is always my favorite part.  It just melts my heart to see them singing songs together and having fun

I would like to say Thank you to all those who have given me such wonderful gifts.  I really enjoy the kids faces when I open them and they get so excited to see my reaction and they are so proud.  I have gotten some truly sweet thoughtful things.  Thank you very much!

I hope all of you have a wonderful Christmas Season.  My girls are home which is my favorite part.  Having all my children under one roof is the best.  I know my days are numbered for this to happen.  They will be having their own houses one day and won't need to stay with me.  I am taking a nice little trip to Branson with Ms. Surma, my daughter Molly and a friend over break.  We are looking forward to exploring some fun places while we are gone.  I hope things that I can use in Social Studies.  Have a safe Holiday!!

God Bless and Merry Christmas,
Mrs. Sickels

No comments:

Post a Comment