Thursday, February 15, 2018

Dear Parents,
     Happy Thursday!  What a week!  I feel like it has been a very quick week.  Tuesday full of making donuts and Valentine Party, Wednesday being Ash Wednesday and today I spent my morning at hospital with Molly.  She was getting an MRI on her shoulder.  Love that X-ray staff.  So very nice and explained everything so well to both of us.  She had to have injection into the joint for the scans.  Kinda interesting to watch.   I understood immediately why I teach kids!!  I am back for the afternoon. 

Language Arts - We are reading Hercules Quest this week.  It is the story of Hercules.  I planned to show the movie on Friday but I am not sure I will get to it.  It is a fun story the kids like it.  Lots of hard words to read.  The names of people especially.  We are working on prepositions and prepositional phrases in grammar this week. It's a hard concept to teach and only spend 3 days on!  Our vocabulary strategy was adages and proverbs which help teach figurative language.  We also read a fun story called Zomo's Friends.  I love this little story.  Some of the kids loved it and others didn't at all.  Tomorrow we will have our normal Friday with  the story, spelling post test and end of week test.  Study study!

Math - This week we finished off perimeter and started Area.  These are concepts that are not that hard but hard to keep separate.  We will finish up area either tomorrow or Monday.  We will then move on to a lesson on combined rectangles.  It will be like blue print of a house and they will find area of the rooms.  We do one worksheet that is totally like that.  I find that stuff fun because it challenges me, others do not think that way!  I try to tell the kids that this chapter is meant to be fun and relaxing after all the hard work we did in Chapters 2 and 3.  

Social Studies - Today they tested over chapter 6.  They will make corrections tomorrow.  We will then put another state in their notebooks and then move on into Chapter 7.  I hope to get us through this chapter so that we can start talking about the Midwest states which are the next region of study.  They will like this section because it is more close to home.  

Food Pantry - We did not get to go to Food Pantry last week due to the temperatures. This week we are going to go instead of the 5th graders.  I asked students to wear their boots cause it is a slushy mess.  They are excited to go!  Thank you in advance.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

God Bless,
Mrs. Sickels

No comments:

Post a Comment