Friday, February 23, 2018

Dear Parents,
     Happy Friday!  This has been a nonexistent week for school!  That ice is a scary thing for sure but I never thought we would have 3 ice days!  I hope everyone is enjoying their 4 day weekend!   I guess I am!  I will be ready for Monday!   I hope your kids are.  I don't have much to report on the blog, since we didn't have much school.

Language Arts - We started the week reading Harvesting Hope: The story of Cesar Chavez and Migrant Workers Union.  We read the story and worked on vocabulary words. We will pick up where we left off on Monday.  On the late start day, I gave the kids the CRS Test.  This test is Constructed Response Supplement.  The kids read a story and answer 8 questions about the story.  The questions are not multiple choice or true false.  They actually have to write out answers. Sometimes they need to write a sentence or two and sometimes just a couple words will answer the question.  The key is answer the question completely.  We had a full classroom so Wednesday was the best option since I had no idea what the rest of the week would bring.  Thank goodness I did it.  I will be gone on March 5 to go to Des Moines and help score these tests with all other 4th grade teachers in the diocese.  I will not be scoring my own tests.  I will score ones from other schools.

Math -  We only had math once this week due to the late start.  We are trying to finish up combined rectangles and finding area.  I told them I had a worksheet that was a challenging activity that we would be doing next.  Some were looking forward to this and we didn't get to do it, but we will next week for sure.

Social Studies - Please be sure to sign your students test so they can return it.  I plan for them to put one more state in their notebook before we begin the next chapter.  Again, if your student didn't do well on the states and capitals map section please work with them so they can learn them.  It is important cause at the end of the year they take a test over all 50!

Auction Basket -  The auction donations were due today but since we are not in school we will move the deadline to Monday.  They were hoping to do some shopping this weekend.  We have not had a very turn out for donations.  We joined 3-5 together for this reason and have received even less than normal.  Please send what you can, a gardening item or cash donation even if it is $5. We can use all the help we can.  The Silent Auction item is all ready taken care of. All money will go towards the Auction Basket.  Thank you very much to all who have all ready donated it is greatly appreciated and to those who plan to donate.

I hope we have a full week next week.  We do have a guest speaker on Wednesday.  Scott Boyle who was at NCYC this fall will be here to talk to the kids.  He will be at school for a 45 minute session and then at the church that night for another session.

Enjoy your 4 day weekend. I miss all of you!

God Bless,
Mrs. Sickels

No comments:

Post a Comment