Thursday, January 4, 2018

Dear Parents,
     Happy New Year!  Welcome to 2018!!  I am glad we have a short week to ease back into school.  It has been a joy to be back with your children.  I know some of you were ready to send your kids back to school.  I am never fully ready to be here until I am here and the kids are in my room then I am happy to be here.  I missed them.  It was fun to hear about some of the things they did over break, best gift they gave and best gift they received.  The students seemed excited to see one another also.  That makes me smile.  So far these two days have been very good. 

Language Arts -  We will start our 5th story in Unit 3 next week.  This means we will back to our normal routine of spelling tests, a story to read, vocabulary and grammar lessons.  This week we have used the time for reading our book report books, read aloud and some practice testing on fluency.  They have loved the reading time and been completely silent and into their books.

Math - We have covered two lessons all ready since we have returned.  The first one was on estimation.  We worked on estimating double-digit problems.  We used rounding and compatible numbers to work do this.  they picked it up rather quickly. Today we learned how to use the Area Model to work double-digit problems.  This is my favorite lesson.  I love having a visual to show me what I am doing and this one I feel is the best.  The kids have done similar problems so they picked this up quickly also.  They did a few problems in class on their own and now working on the worksheet.  I think all of them feel very confident with this strategy. Woohoo!  We are off to a great start!

Social Studies -  We jumped right into this and covered our last lesson in Chapter 6.  They will start a study guide tomorrow.  We will check it on Monday and then they will test on Tuesday!  We will officially finish the Northeast then.  We will start the Southeast next week!  Back to interactive notebooks and practicing our states and capitals song and locating the region on a map.   They will need to practice the Northeast on a map because they will be tested over states and capitals on this test.  It will be the same thing they have been doing.  Some students need to STUDY!

St. Malachy Trivia Night is schedules for Saturday, January 20th at Crestmoor Golf and Country club.  There are still some table available.  Get your team of 8 signed up!  It's will be a lot of fun!

I hope you are all keeping warm!  Darn this cold weather.  We hope to get the kids outside soon.  They were out for like 5 minutes today.  Please be sure your child comes prepared to go outside every day because we will make the decision right at the time we are scheduled to go outside.  If it is 0 or above we will go outside.  If windchills take it below zero we will not.  Make sure they are prepared to bundle up!

God Bless,
Mrs. Sickels


No comments:

Post a Comment