Thursday, January 11, 2018

Dear Parents,
    Happy Thursday and Happy Snow Day!!!  I definitely did not expect this but ice can be a scary thing for a bus full of kids and high school kids driving.  I am happy the decision was made.  Also, we have had the flu hit school, so it gives everyone a day at home to rest and maybe stay away from illness or another day at home to help get over their illness.  Please refer to our illness policy in the handbook which talks about students being fever free, vomit or diarrhea free for 24 hours before you return to school. I know you have jobs to be at, but we can help limit the spread of the virus if you are not in the building.  We have been disinfecting desks, doorknobs, and bathrooms to try and help.  I hate  this time of year called flu season.  

Language Arts -  This week we are reading the last story in Unit 3.  It is called Ecology for Kids.  It talks about the science of ecology, what it studies and what it means to us.  It talks about ways in which we can help to save the environment.  It is not the most interesting but it is informational.  In spelling, we are working on words that change the y at the end to an i and add -ed, -s, -er, or -est.  This is a topic we have discussed before and now they get to apply what they know.  It was a tough list for some.  Grammar we are talking about irregular verbs, past tense verbs, and using the "be" verb.  We also talked about context clues for multiple meaning words.  I was able to give some real life talk about using context clues.  I am reading a book called "Lilac Girls", it is a book about World War II, and I find myself looking up the definition of many words.  Yes, the context usually helps me to understand but I feel to truly understand it I have to know exactly what the word means.  That is just me.  I talked about how I look them up.  They can't believe I do that as an adult.  Next week will be the Unit 3 test!  We will work on reading our book report books and finishing the read aloud book.  I am ready to start a new one.  Let the students know we will be doing Thursday's plans tomorrow and so Tuesday we will do our spelling posttest and end of week test.

Math -  We have focused all week on area model and partial product strategies for double-digit multiplication problems.  They have done a great job.  I have requested they write more than needed to show me that they understand what they are doing.  Our next lesson is actually the Mid Chapter Checkpoint.  The plan was to do it today and check it tomorrow. But I guess it looks like they will be working on it tomorrow. 

Social Studies -  We have finished chapter 5 and taken our test.  Now we are moving onto Chapter 6.  We will be learning the 12 states that make up the region, working on our interactive notebooks, learning their location on a map, and practicing their capitals.  There are 2 chapters that make up the Unit on the Southeast.  I hope to get through it in a decent amount of time.  We still have 3 more regions to get through.  We don't have a ton of interruptions this part of the year but Catholic Schools Week is coming at the end of the month.

Please be sure you child is bringing all necessary items to school for cold weather.  Our temps look to be down low again.  We will go out if the temp or feels like temp is above 0.  Don't try to guess what it will be and decide they don't need to bring their boots and things cause if we go outside it is no fun for those who don't have their warms stuff.  I am enjoying a day at home, mainly reading a good book.

I look forward to seeing your children in the morning! 
 Have a good rest of the day!

God Bless,
Mrs. Sickels

No comments:

Post a Comment