Thursday, October 18, 2018

Dear Parents,
     Happy Thursday!  I hope all of you are enjoying the sunshine.  I know I am!  It was so nice to be out a recess with the kids with the sun!  Conferences are quickly approaching.  They are two week from today.  I have emailed out a sign-up so that you can sign up for a time to meet with me. I sent it to the emails that you provided the school. I also put it out on our 4th grade Facebook page.  Please find the link and sign up.  I have a large gap from 4:20 to 6:00 that I am not available.  From 5:00 - 6:00 we have supper hour and I have my own daughter's conference at 4:45 at the High School.  I need to drive out there for that.  There is more than enough time slots left over but I apologize if these times are ones you were looking forward to signing up for. Here is the link in case anyone has not seen it yet. 

https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0544a5a72ca1fe3-4thgrade5

Language Arts -  This week in Language Arts we are reading a story called Coming Disasters: Questioning Movies.  This story talks about some of the special effects that movies contain.  It also points out the "unrealistic events" that take place in movies.  One example is, when a parent loses a job, they still live in big gorgeous homes and drive brand new vehicles.  They also point out severe car crashes where the car flips in the air and catches fire and people walk or run away form those accidents.  The last one is when there is fight scenes going on and women are wearing high heels while fighting bad guys.  These are all things that would have different outcomes in real life.  We also read a short article on the different kinds of special effects out there and concentrated on how they created the dinosaurs for Jurassic Park. We reviewed verb tenses this week.  We talked about the three kinds: past, present and future. We also talked about when a sentence has two verbs in it we have to keep the tenses the same.  If the sentence is a past tense sentence then both verbs should be past tense.  Our vocabulary strategy this week was on Greek and Latin word parts.  We talked about phon, graph, tele, photo, auto.  We looked at their meanings and then looked at words that contained these word parts.  They will need to study their vocabulary packets and spelling words for tomorrow.

Math -  We have spent the last week working on multiplication comparisons.  We learned how to write an equation from a comparison sentence and we learned how to draw a model to match.  After everyone mastered this skill we moved on to word problems that contained a multiplication comparison.  We then spent two days figuring out word problems using our new strategy.  When I was confident that the students had the hang of it, I assigned the worksheet to go along with it.  That happened today.  I reviewed the strategy using problems they had worked on their own and them allowed them time to work on the worksheet in class so that if they had questions they could ask.  Most of them completed the worksheet.  I feel they all are understanding this concept and how to work these problems.  Tomorrow we will go to the Food Pantry to help unload the truck so we will not start the third lesson until Monday.  That lesson will be over multiplying tens, hundreds and thousands.  

Social Studies -  We have started a lesson on the Northeast region.  Our focus has been vocabulary words so far.  We had an introduction to the first lesson yesterday and began reading it today.  They learned how important Niagara Falls is to the state of New York.  Not only is the tourism important because the falls are so beautiful, but there are hydropower plants on the Niagara River that supply most of the state of New York with electricity.  We will move on to talk about mountain ranges in the region.  After lesson 1 we will put our first Northeast state into the Interactive notebooks and I will begin teaching them the states and Capitals song.  

Muffins with Mom -  Thanks to all the moms that attended this morning's event.  It was fun for all. It is so great to have a packed gym full of loving moms having breakfast.  I am sure your child appreciates you coming also.

Book Reports-  Remember that all book reports are due by Friday, November 16th.  I have some students that are done with their book and beginning their reports and I still have some students reading their books.  Please just check with them on where they are.  They have everything they need in their expanded files.  If they have lost things let me know so I can get them more copies.  I just want to be sure all students are working on this.  I check with them here but just hoping you are doing the same at home.  They are welcome to bring their boxes to school and work on them here if they would want.


I hope all of you have a great weekend. 
God Bless, 
Mrs. Sickels

No comments:

Post a Comment