Thursday, December 15, 2016

Dear Parents,
     Happy Thursday!! This is the last Thursday we are in school before Christmas!! Next week your kiddos will be home!  I can tell Christmas is coming and it is a full moon!!  They are very talkative!  We will make it though!!  I am looking forward to Christmas Break myself.  Both kids are home and I am at work!  I will be happy to be home with them!  Sounds like a wild weekend of weather! I hope all of you keep warm this weekend!  

Language Arts - We have read the story Antarctic Journal this week.  It is actually a journal account from a visit to Antarctica.  It was very informative and interesting to learn about this continent.  It talked about penguins and everyone loves penguins!  We have been looking at Modal auxilaries  this week for grammar.  Which is the proper use of may, might, could should, can,  and must.  These can be very confusing when looked at properly.  The kids will probably mix up may, can and might.   We also looked at Latin and Greek word parts that we use today.  Word parts such as: spect, tele, vis, and struct.  We looked at the meaning of each part and how some of the words we use also reflect these meanings. 

Math - We have hit the middle of chapter 3.  I have discovered there is no way I could get a test in before our vacation, so we have stopped here at the mid chapter review. After break we will review what we learned so far and then take off on the second half which is only 3 lessons.  We will learn the regrouping strategy which is the  strategy that we all learned as kids.  Right now we are working on some fun math that goes with geometry and a little bit of map skills. It uses a coordinate grid to make a picture.  I have all sorts of pictures.  We are making Christmas related pictures right now.  They all had to make a Christmas tree then they could choose their next picture.  This class is doing a great job catching on to the new concepts presented to them!!  Kudos to them!

Social Studies -  We are working through our chapter on the Northeast.  We are in the middle of a lesson right now.  When we finish this lesson we are going to learn the States and Capitals song and start some map work.  This will help us prepare for the states and capitals portion of our test!  Next week for fun I plan to have them color the flags of the Northeast regiion. I have coloring pages and we will look the flags up on the computer and put on whiteboard for them to copy.  When we get all the flags done we will put them into our interactive notebooks with a few more facts about the states. Just another fun way for the students to be more engaged in their learning.  I apologize now about the states and capitals song because they will be singing it all the time once they learn it.  I am sure all of you will also know it.

Wednesday, December 22nd -  I want to tell you about what will go on this day!   In the morning I plan on finishing up anything we need to so that our subjects all have a proper stopping pioint. Then we will have a Christmas Party.  At this time we will have a snack and drink.  I am looking for volunteers who would like provide one or the other for the class.  If you would like to provide one please email me and let me know.  While we enjoy our snack we will also play board games.  Sometimes it is just fun to sit and play your favorite games with your friends. So your child may bring in their favorite game that day.  It doesn't matter what it is, card game board game ect.  My favorite game is Battleship.  IF anyone has a working electrtonic Battleship game I request it!  I have never played one.  Last year someone brought one but it didn't work.  Your child will need to bring a sack lunch that day to eat with their Advent Angel.  Milk will be provided so NO drinks please.  After they eat we will sing Christmas Carols in the gym from 12:30 to 1:00. All are welcome to come join in our singing!  This is truly the best time of the day!  After caroling, the 3rd, 4th and 5th grades will get together in one room and watch a movie for the afternoon.  Then they will be all ready to go home!!!  WOW what a busy fun day !  At least I hope it is.  What fun to celebrate the holiday with your class. 

Again I hope all of you have a great weekend!  I have my first family Christmas this weekend!  It is always great fun!  It starts at my house Friday night then to my in-laws all day Saturday!  We really enjoy our time together.  Last year I was sick and unable to attend.  This year I am looking forward to it.

God Bless,
Mrs. Sickels

No comments:

Post a Comment