Thursday, May 26, 2016

Dear Parents,
     WOW!!  Well, it is here, the last blog for this school year.  I just can't believe that it is here all ready.  I am blown away that tomorrow is the last day of school!  We have been working on things all week and still working on certain subjects today.  

Language Arts -  We finished up, rather quickly, the end of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  We discussed the last three chapters then I showed them the old movie from the 1960's.  This movie is much more appropriate. I am not a huge fan of the new one.  The kids sat quietly and enjoyed the movie this morning. I was impressed with how quiet they were for that length of time.  They discussed any differences from the book when they appeared differently in the movie, which was great!!  I love this book and movie and usually I spend time talking about similarities and differences between them with a VENN diagram.  We ran out of time this year.  If we have time to kill tomorrow we will share these ideas on the board together.

Math -  We worked this week on the standard algorithm of division.  I think most of them have a good idea of what is expected but working through the problem we get lost on what is next.  This is definitely a skill I would practice over the summer.  One way to keep their math skills sharp over the summer is to pick a time of day when you know your child will be sitting down for a while like breakfast, lunch, or before bed and do one math problem at that time.  Make this problem a division problem.  Have it on the table with their breakfast and have them complete while eating.  It's a good brain exercise for the day.  You could also make a part of bedtime routine.  This will just help them to retain the skills learned this year.  

Social Studies -  Tomorrow is their big test!  They will be locating all 50 states on a blank map and listing the capital with it.  I have had 2 students take it all ready due to having their last day earlier.  They have done real well.  I told the kids to study as soon as they got home, again at bedtime, then in morning. Sing the song over and over!  They will begin this test at 8:30 in the morning!  That is the last academic thing for the year!!

I want to say again, Thank you for sharing your children with me! I have thoroughly enjoyed each and every one of them!  You have GREAT kids!!  I am sad to see them move on but am thankful I still have the opportunity to teach them in Social Studies next year!!

Have a great summer!!

God Bless, 
Mrs. Sickels

No comments:

Post a Comment