Thursday, December 18, 2014

Dear Parents,
     Happy Thursday!!!   Here we are, the last Thursday before break.  ONE WEEK until Christmas!!  I knew this would all move quickly and it has.  This will be my last letter for a while.  Students have been good, we are still working hard.  We will be a good place in all subjects to end for break.  I hope everyone has a great break.  I hope to do something fun with my kids over break besides opening gifts.  We may go Prom dress shopping. I am NOT sure how much "fun" that will be for me, but it has to be done.

Language Arts-  This week our story was called Life and Times of the Ant.  We learned a lot about ants, their nests or anthills, and the jobs that ants perform.  Most interesting is that we learned that ants work until they die.  Our spelling list this week focused on a final long e sound.  The word has a long e in the final syllable which could be spelling with a -y or an -ey or -ie.  In grammar we talked about participles, which are verbs ending in -ed or -ing and are used as adjectives instead of verbs.  We focused on present participles (-ing) and past participles (-ed).  We also read a fable called "The Ant and the Dove".  It taught us to do nice things for others.  We are testing today instead of tomorrow.  We have too much going on tomorrow, so I prepared the kids to test today.

Math -  This week in Math we have focused on partial product.  The student have been practicing this strategy all week.  Today they will do a Chapter Mid-point check.  I want to be sure they are successfully able to work problems using the strategies they have learned so far before we move on.  We will not move on until we get back from Christmas break and then we learn the regrouping strategy or the algorithm that you and I learned.  Tomorrow and Monday we will be doing some fun math.  It deals with a grid and directions of what to do in each square on the grid.  If they follow directions well, they should have a Christmas picture when they are done.  All my classes have loved this and found it challenging yet fun!!  Normally in the last series I taught out of we were studying coordinates and a coordinate grid right now so it was very fitting.  I am doing for fun this year and will have to talk a bit about a grid and the directions.


Social Studies -  The projects that have been coming in have been great!! I am so pleased with the work they are putting into them.  I am trying to give advice on presenting their projects.  Students need to slow down and speak clearly.  If no one can understand what you are saying they are not learning from your presentation.  I have had some do excellent and some that have zipped right through very quickly.  We have begun the next chapter which is on People of the Northeast.  We will cover the first lesson and then stop because it is a great place to stop for break.  I will play State and Capitals bingo with them and trivia games dealing with states and capitals.  We may even take a quiz over them.

Tuesday, Dec. 23rd -  I want to let you know what will be happening on Tuesday.  Students will still go to  Music as planned.  When they return we will spend some time in read aloud.  I am reading the first Harry Potter book and though they have seen the movies they are really enjoying this and want me to read the all the time.  At 9:30 we will have a small Christmas party.  I am looking for someone to bring a drink and someone to supply a treat for that day.  If you are interested shoot me an email or text.  We will then play games.  The students are welcome to bring a board game from home that they really like to play.  We will all have treats and enjoy each others company for the morning. We will then eat lunch with Advent Angels and then have the all school sing-a-long in the gym. I want you to know you are invited to come join us for ANY of these activities.  Please feel free to come for all day if you would like.  Pack a lunch and join us!!! 

I would like to wish all of you a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!

A Savior has been born to you; He is Christ the Lord!
                                                                        Luke 2:11

God Bless,
Mrs. Sickels





No comments:

Post a Comment