Thursday, October 23, 2014

Dear Parents,
      Happy Thursday!!  Again I feel like I just wrote a letter.  Most of the time I feel the week is dragging along.  We are still working very hard in 4th grade.  You should see all results of things on Power School.  I put all tests and most of the student's homework on it.  Please keep in mind, homework is for the students to practice what they are learning and for me to see how they are doing and if more time is needed in that area.  If I feel the score is not where I think they should be I will have them make corrections.  If they do a good job on corrections then I will adjust their grade appropriately.  So you may see one score one day and the next it may be different after they have made changes.  I hope you are all on there following your students. This is how I keep up with my high-schoolers and how they are doing. It is very handy to see if they are getting their work done.  I don't receive late slips from high school teachers telling me my kids are falling behind.  Now is the time to get online and learn how to keep track of your student.  If you are unsure how to do it come see Sarah or give her a call.  She is a great resource to answer your questions.

Language Arts - This week we are reading a story called Me and Uncle Romie.  It is written about Romare Beardon a well-known collage artist. (if you follow the art world)  We have talked about what a collage artist creates and the story actually has a good example.  We have talked about verb tenses again this week focusing on present progressive verbs.  We also reviewed the 4 kinds of sentences we write.  Our target skill was characters and paying close attention to characters, what they are thinking, what they are doing and how they speak. This gives us a good idea of what kind of character they are. We also spent some time on the target strategy of visualizing.  I read a paragraph from our read aloud book to them (Wizard of Oz) and they were to draw a picture of the scene they were hearing.  According to a couple students it was a fun activitiy.  I  also compared it to books that have been made into motion pictures.  I told the kids to create that motion picture in their mind as they read.  Remember to study spelling words and vocabulary words for tomorrow.

Math -  We have completed half of chapter 2!  The students worked on their mid chapter checkpoint review yesterday.  We went over it today.  It shows me I need to spend about one more day on partial product.  Some students had corrections to work on today and those who didn't played a game.  I have a 30 sided die that they role to make multiplication problems and then they were to use the expanded form and partial product strategy to work them.  Tomorrow we will review the partial product strategy and have a worksheet to complete on it.  I just feel they need a little more practice before moving on.  This chapter is very important because in chapter 3 we do the exact same strategies but with double- digit numbers instead of single digit.  It will be harder, so we need to master the strategies now.  I love these strategies and totally enjoy teaching this chapter.  They are learning a lot!

Social Studies - We are finishing up lesson three so we will be looking at reviewing for a test towards the end of next week.  I am glad to be at the end because we will talk about each region separately and I enjoy doing that.  Especially those regions where I have not been but the kids have. I learn a lot and enjoy it. I will be getting packets ready to send home over the social studies projects that 4th graders will do this year.  If you have had me before you all ready know all about them.  I will discuss them at conferences so everyone is up to speed, in case this is your first year with me.

I hope all of you have a great weekend!  This is "Molly" weekend.  It is dancing at Ice Hockey game Saturday night then parents preview on Sunday. Also, volleyball with her on Saturday morning.  I am happy to be right here in town though.  Maybe I can get some much needed things done!!

God Bless, 
Mrs. Sickels 

No comments:

Post a Comment