Thursday, November 7, 2013

Dear Parents,
       Happy Thursday!!  I hope everyone is having a great week! We are doing well here in 4th grade.  This is like the 2nd full week of school since my return on September 30th.  We have either had no school or early outs every week but 2!! I actually can't count it a full week though because I am leaving at 11:30 today for a doctor's appointment.  This appointment is with a neurologist.  He will watch me for a while to make decisions about the seizure I had and when to take me off the medicine for them.  He will not release me to drive. That doesn't happen until January 21st of 2014, so next year!!  In case you didn't know it is a state law that  if you have a seizure you can't drive for 6 months.  I have to admit it is a long time, but I believe it is a good law to protect myself, my kids and others on the road.

Math - We started geometry this week.  We have spend three days talking about shapes and all their features.  The students actually created solid figures with a partner and used them to make a chart listing number of faces, number of edges, and number of vertices each shape has.  This one lesson, which is to be taught in one day had 15 vocabulary words!!!  That was insane.  We will spend the next 2-3 weeks dealing with different kinds of shapes.  We also have another lesson with 13 vocabulary words dealing with lines, line segments, and angles.  Lots of work for us in the future!!  I admit this can be a fun chapter too!!

Language Arts- I would like to point out that the student scores on last weeks story were FABULOUS!!   The decoding is getting better! I had lots of 10/10 scores.  I am getting more comfortable with the subject matter and trying to make the learning process more inviting.  This week is lesson 10 which is the last one is Unit 2.  That means next week will be a test week over unit 2. If you remember from conferences I discussed how long these tests were.  We will take it over 3 days next week.  

Social Studies - I will send home the student's project due dates tomorrow.  The dates will range from Dec. 8 - 20!!  They still have lots of time to work on the project.  Please any questions make sure you ask.  We have talked this week about the resourced of the Northeast, focusing on grapes, cranberries, maple syrup, marble and granite.  

As seasons are definitely changing and colder weather is approaching there is a rule on the dress code I need to put out to you.  This was a new addition to the dress code for this year.  I have had to review it myself so wanted to make the parents aware also.  I know there have been a couple of students who have broken it all ready and I have missed it.  This rule is found in Everyday, all-year-long expectations (letter D) and in Mass expectations (letter D). 

Here it is:  Leggings may be worn as long as the bottom of the dress, skirt, or shirt extends to at least mid- thigh.  The mass expectation is the same but only applies to dress or skirt.  Shirts not allowed on mass days.

The problem we have been seeing is that the sweater is not reaching mid-thigh, yes it is covering the child up, but needs to come to mid-thigh so when they bend over or reach up high they still remain covered appropriately.  You can refer to the dress code on the St. Malachy website. Thank you for all your cooperation.

Have a great weekend!!
God Bless,
Mrs. Sickels

No comments:

Post a Comment